Cookies disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.

Bounce Rate

Bounce Rate

Contents:


*Some metrics can be pulled into AdWords columns from Google Analytics, for you to see this data you must have a Google Analytics account and it must be linked to the AdWords account… Specific Google Analytics tracking code is also required for this data to be pulled into any account.

Bounce Rate

Quick Description = The rate at which users leave a site after visiting only one page

Calculation: Bounces / Clicks (or Sessions)

Referred to as = Bounce Rate

Bounce Rate is a metric used by Google Analytics that let’s us know how many people (as a percentage of all people) that visit your site leave after viewing only one page. Typically this metric is important because it is a good indication that the user is not finding what they want and are consequently leaving to find it elsewhere.

Calculating Bounce Rate

This metric is represented by a percentage, for example; if you have received 150 Clicks and 70 of those Clicks bounced (left the site after viewing just one page), we could get the following:

70/ 150 = 0.467 = 46.7% Bounce Rate

Meaning that in this example 46.7% of Clicks result in a bounce.

When Is Bounce Rate Relevant?

This metric is not always pertinent to an account; there are many legitimate reasons why a high bounce rate might be acceptable. Sites that provide leads to other sites, rely on users leaving their website to generate revenue. This, among other scenarios, can render bounce rate an uncompelling metric for decision-making. Below we describe an example where bounce rate is very relevant:

If we assume a website landing page for SEM has a conversion rate of 2% (which is considered low in this example) but it has a bounce rate of 80%... The 2% conversion rate is calculated based on total Clicks and conversions, however 80% of clicks result in a bounce, so of the remaining 20% of more qualified users, 10% of them convert.

This can be a valuable analysis if you can understand who the 20% are and why they stay on your site without bouncing.

Improving Bounce Rates

Looking at the bounce rate of SEM landing pages, where high bounce rates are bad thing, can provide some strong indications of pages that need reviewing for conversion optimisation or general landing page improvements.

Also consider looking at the search terms triggering your ads for relevance issues that could lead to high bounce rates. Broad match keywords are a usual suspect for this as they can trigger ads for search terms with very low relevance, unless proper structure and negative keywords are used.

More Information

If you liked this guide on Bounce Rate you may also be interested in the following guides related to this subject:

  • Pages Per Session
  • Avg. Session Duration
  • % New Sessions
  • Sessions
  • Google Analytics Metrics
  • Google Analytics

Sign Up For Early Access
& Earn a Chance to Win 1 Years Free Subscription!

What You Get...

There's no obligation to become a full member after your trial, but we think that once you've seen what's available, you'll want to join us.

We are in the process of building our software and are ramping up to launch the Technical Auditing component in early 2018, soon to be followed by a suite of other components such as keyword ranking and backlink analysis.

Sign up today for 1 months free access and get a further 10% off of any package price when we launch for the first year as a reward for being an early subscriber.

Also, you will be entered into a lottery, where we will be giving away five 1-year subscriptions for free!

Sign up for early access today!