Step 2.11: Page Content (Text)
Basic Concepts | On-Page | Content
Direct Ranking Factor: Very Strong
Text based content is the primary driver of relevance between your site, its pages and their target keywords. Google require this to determine what a page is about, or what the theme of your site is.
Content should address the user need, if you are writing some content to target a keyword, ensure that you are providing value in some way.
Addressing a user need or answering a question is a good way to inspire your content. Keyword research can help identify keywords, you can then create content to target those keywords, but it should do more than just target a keyword.
There is a lot to cover in this area but as a very top-level overview of the rules around content, we have boiled this down to the following things:
- Do not ‘keyword stuff’ (overuse keywords or use them, unnaturally)
- Ensure content is natural, do not force the use of keywords
- Ensure your content is unique
- Link to other relevant content on your site with keyword rich anchor text
- Link to some relevant external trustworthy sources on the net