Step 2.21: Sitemaps
Basic Concepts | On-Page | Sitemaps
Direct Ranking Factor: Low
Sitemaps are pages on your site, that list all of the pages on your site in a structured format.
These are more the nuts and bolts of SEO rather than providing you with any kind of advantage over a competitor (unless they don’t use sitemaps).
These provide three main functions:
- Provides a link to every page of your site
- Helps users to find pages
- Helps robots to find all your pages
Ideally these should be linked from the footer of every page.
These are incredibly useful for use with Google Search Console, and other webmaster tools. This is because you can submit them to those tools to assist them in finding and indexing your site.
There should be no more than 50,000 links per XML sitemap and the maximum file size should not exceed 10MB.
These are as follows:
- Keep sitemaps updated in synch with updates to your site
- Ensure they are structured properly
- Ensure they are not too large or contain too many links