The number of links pointing to another domain, for each URL.
Within the column for ‘external links’, there is only one type of value returned for this which is as follows:
A number between 0 and infinity
This number is the total amount of links pointing to a domain other than the primary domain or its sub-domains, regardless if any of the following is true or not:
- Return a status code other than 200
- If the link is redirected to another URL
- If the link is set to be ‘nofollow’
- If the link is set to be ‘follow’
The examples below show how this data can be used for SEO.
External links can leak authority to other domains, they also dilute the authority that passes through internal links. As such this metric can be a top-level view of potential problem pages.
The list of guides below might be useful if you are analysing this data and want to know more about it:
Related column headers in Raptor website crawler reports:
- External Links (Follow)
- External Links
- In Links (Nofollow)
- In Links (follow)
- In links (Unique Follow)
- In links (Unique)
- In Links
- Outlinks (Follow)
- Outlinks (Unique)
There are several benefits to analysing external linking data, such as those listed below:
- Identify external linking Issues for SEO
- Identify all external links
- Resolve authority leaks
- Audit a site’s external links profile
- Scrape competitor external links
Sign up Today for a Free 30-Day Trial. Identify External Linking Issues on your site.